Castle Sowerby parish is bounded on the south by Greystoke, on the northwest by Raughton Head, on the west and southwest by Sebergham and part of Caldbeck and on the east by Skelton, Braithwaite and Middlesceugh.
It is a very rural community with about 340 residents but there is a strong community spirit, as is evidenced by all the activities taking place in Millhouse Village Hall. Castle Sowerby Church has Norman origins and is dedicated to St Kentigern (St Mungo).
Bulmans Directory of 1901 has a description of the parish at the time:
That description still fits the parish well.